Current Student Scholarship Opportunities
The Maggie Allesee Department of Theatre and Dance has many scholarships available for majors. Students can learn more about specific scholarships (departmental and university) and apply through AcademicWorks. Students can also explore other funding opportunities through the Office of Financial Aid.
To Browse Scholarships:
- Login to Academicworks with your Wayne State Access ID and Password
- Go to "opportunities"
- Select "all"
- Choose "Show Filters"
- Type in your major as the keyword
- Read the requirements for the scholarship
To Appy for Scholarships:
- Login to AcademicWorks with your Wayne State Access ID and Password
- Complete the General Application and Submit
- Complete the College of Fine, Performing & Communication Arts Application and Submit
- You will be directed to the "Recommended Opportunities" where you will see "Apply To" opportunities and the system will determine what you qualify for
- Select the scholarship you want to apply to and submit the application
The AcademicWorks application opens in October of each year with a March 1st deadline date. These scholarships are awarded for the following academic year.
Please note: Institutional funds such as the Warrior, Gold or Wayne State Promise awards have been funded in part by this scholarship offer. These awards may replace or reduce these funds or other institutional dollars. In addition, the sum of all aid cannot exceed the financial aid cost of attendance.
Incoming and Transfer Student Talent Scholarship Opportunities
Theatre and Dance at Wayne State University awards a number of four-year scholarships to promising dance students. Talent scholarships are awarded by audition only.
Talent Scholarships minimum eligibility requirements:
- You will be graduating from high school in the spring or summer of the current school year with a minimum 2.75 high school grade point average.
- You are admitted to Wayne State University.
- You completed the audition process to the Wayne State University Department of Theatre and Dance
Talent Scholarship Award recipients must meet the following guidelines:
- Be a full-time student at WSU for eight consecutive semesters carrying 12-16 credits hours during each Fall and Winter term;
- Be a Bachelor of Fine Arts Dance Major in the College of Fine, Performing and Communication Arts for eight semesters, following the Dance Major curriculum;
- Maintain a 2.5 grade point average overall and a 3.0 grade point average in dance courses;
- Perform every semester for eight consecutive semesters, being a member of one of the WSU Dance Companies for at least two semesters.*
- Perform other related activities and events in the Dance Department as requested by the company director(s) or Chair of the department.**
- Conduct oneself professionally and respectfully at all times, both on-campus and off-campus, when representing WSU and the Department of Theatre & Dance. ***
- Fully abide by the WSU Student Code of Conduct at all times, both on-campus and off-campus, when representing WSU and the Department of Theatre & Dance. ***
- Dance majors who have completed 45 credits hours but have not completed Basic Composition (BC) will be placed on department probation and will be ineligible to be cast and perform in dance companies, touring, or repertory (faculty and guest artists) in the courses DNC 5000, DNC 5610, DNC 5800.
- Scholarships are renewed contingent upon successful annual review.
* Exceptions are granted by the Chair for Student Teaching, Study Abroad, and other special circumstances.
** These may include fundraising activities, donor and sponsor events, or other scholarship related activities.
*** Unprofessional conduct or violation of the WSU Student Code of Conduct is grounds for immediate termination of the scholarship.