Dance Audition Information
Upcoming Dance Audition and Interview Dates
The final auditions for admission to the Maggie Allesee Department of Dance for the 2020-2021 academic year will be held as a video audition. Completed Dance Audition Regisgration forms must be submitted by 11:59pm, April 20th, 2020.
Include a video link (from YouTube or Vimeo) to a solo performance excerpt in the applicant's genre of choice (ballet, pointe, modern, jazz, world dance, or improvisation) Your uploaded video should be no longer than 3 minutes. Please make sure your video link is set to "Unlisted" and not "Private".
Ballet Center Combinations are WAIVED due to COVID-19 restrictions.
Due to school and studio closures, we understand that you may not be able to access a traditional dance space. Your solo can be recorded in any space or place, or you can use a pre-recorded solo from the past year. This is a great time to use your creativity! If you have any questions or need guidance as to what, where, and how to record your video, email Meg Paul @ firstname.lastname@example.org for additional assistance.
Audition Forms and Information
Audition registration form should be completed at least one week before the audition.
All BFA and scholarship applicants are required to submit a short solo (3 minutes maximum) in video form with their audition registration form. This can be a dance style of the applicant's choice. The strong preference is for the applicant to upload their short video to YouTube and mark it as "unlisted" so that the video is not viewable to the general public. Copy the link to your video clip and submit it to Wayne State University via your online application status page (www.appstatus.wayne.edu) and in the audition registration form.
The Dance Program requires one teacher recommendation. Once you submit your application, you will be guided to your Application Portal page. For the teacher recommendation, select the "Click here to request a recommendation for your program" link and then select "Add Recommender" to send a short message to your teacher requesting the reference. When your teacher replies to the email, the reply will go directly into your online file. When we receive the reference from your teacher, a checkmark will appear on the checklist on your Application Portal page next to "Teacher Recommendation" to indicate that the reference has been received.
The Maggie Allesee Department of Theatre and Dance offers talent scholarships that cover $20,000 of a student's tuition, over four years. This scholarship is available for students enrolled eight consecutive fall and winter semesters at Wayne State University.
Additional eligibility requirements:
- You will be graduating from high school in the spring or summer of the current school year with a minimum 2.75 high school grade point average.
- You are admitted to Wayne State University.
- You complete one of the competitive auditions listed above.
- You submit a YouTube link to a video clip of you performing a solo (3 minutes maximum length) in a style of your choice.
- You submit a completed Department of Theatre and Dance Audition Registration Form
Talent Scholarship Award recipients must meet the following guidelines:
- Be a full-time student at WSU for eight consecutive semesters carrying 12-16 credits hours during each Fall and Winter term;
- Be a Bachelor of Fine Arts Dance Major in the College of Fine, Performing and Communication Arts for eight semesters, following the Dance Major curriculum;
- Maintain a 2.5 grade point average overall and a 3.0 grade point average in dance courses;
- Perform every semester for eight consecutive semesters, being a member of one of the WSU Dance Companies for at least two semesters.*
- Perform other related activities and events in the Dance Department as requested by the company director(s) or Chair of the department.**
- Conduct oneself professionally and respectfully at all times, both on-campus and off-campus, when representing WSU and the Department of Theatre & Dance. ***
- Fully abide by the WSU Student Code of Conduct at all times, both on-campus and off-campus, when representing WSU and the Department of Theatre & Dance. ***
- Dance majors who have completed 45 credits hours but have not completed Basic Composition (BC) will be placed on department probation and will be ineligible to be cast and perform in dance companies, touring, or repertory (faculty and guest artists) in the courses DNC 5000, DNC 5610, DNC 5800.
- Scholarships are renewed contingent upon successful annual review.
* Exceptions are granted by the Chair for Student Teaching, Study Abroad, and other special circumstances.
** These may include fundraising activities, donor and sponsor events, or other scholarship related activities.
*** Unprofessional conduct or violation of the WSU Student Code of Conduct is grounds for immediate termination of the scholarship.
Please note: Students who experience difficulty with the above criteria will be placed on probation and may lose their Talent Scholarship.
Dance Audition/Interview Schedule (Tentative)
Dance Program Audition - Sample Itinerary (subject to change)
11:00 – 11:30 Registration (assign and take photos)
- Warm and Stretch--Old Main 3374
11:30 – 12:50 Classes and Auditions--Studio A
- Parents Q&A (Chair, Area Head, and Students)--Malbin Conference Room
- 1:20 – 2:00 African Dance Masterclass
- 2:00 – 2:30 Lunch (provided by Department)
- 2:30 – 2:45 Tour of Dance Facilities (Student Reps)
- 2:45 – 3:30 Presentation/Performance/Q&A