The Maggie Allesee Department of Theatre and Dance is home to two performance venues, the Allesee Dance Theatre and our newest performance complex, the Hilberry Gateway. Throughout the year, our stages are home to various theatre and dance productions, showcases, master classes and workshops.
Hilberry Gateway4715 Cass Ave.
Detroit, MI 48202
More than a performance space, the complex builds on our nearly 60-year legacy of performing arts education. A training ground for actors, dancers and musicians, but also designers, stage managers and theatre managers and professionals, the Hilberry Gateway is the latest evolution of Wayne State's outstanding performing arts programs.
- The STAGE - a 550-seat proscenium theatre
- The STUDIO - a 150 to 225-seat flexible seating studio theatre
- New dressing rooms, make-up rooms, green rooms and production accommodations
- New audio and visual booths that will bolster performances, allowing state-of-the-art audio, video and lighting technology during production
- Outdoor performance and reception space between the two theatre buildings that opens to Cass Avenue
Allesee Dance Theatre
Old Main is the home to the Allesee Dance Theatre. It is a 100-seat dance studio where you will enjoy watching dance students perform, showcasing their skills and techniques with first-class, world-renowned choreography created by guest artists and faculty.