Master of Fine Arts - Lighting Design
The Hilberry Lighting Design program focuses on the production of theatre in combination with individualized coursework that develops each student as an artist. Working in both the Hilberry and Bonstelle Theatres, students design for multiple productions during the program. They also have the opportunity to undertake Sound Design for a number of productions.
These opportunities are combined with classes that are kept small enough to address the particular needs of each student. This combination provides a solid experience in both the theory and practice of lighting design, preparing students for careers as designers in the entertainment industry.
The following selection of courses is typical for lighting designers:
- Foundation of Graduate Design
- Advanced Lighting Design
- Professional Lighting Design I & II
- Design Studio I-IV
- Technical Theatre Problems
- Intro. to Scenic Painting
- Play Direction
- Development of Drama
- Theatre Aesthetics
- Theatre Costuming
- Stage Design
- Teaching Internship Option
- Repertory Theatre (design practicum)
- MFA Exit Project
- Stipend: 2017-2018 $17,994 (will be increased for 2018-2019)
- Full Tuition Waiver
- Insurance: Medical/Dental/Vision (employee contribution)
To apply, please visit the Graduate School Application Portal.