Master of Fine Arts - Costume Design
The graduate Costume Design program gives students an opportunity to study and practice the art of costume design through intensive classroom experience, as well as studio and design production work. The course of study includes traditional classes in all aspects of design technique, including script analysis, studio art classes and fashion design, as well as basic scenic and lighting design. Combined with the hands-on approach to technical production, students have the opportunity to design for multiple realized productions at the Hilberry and Bonstelle Theatres during the course of the degree, preparing for professional careers in theatrical or event costume design and costume shop management.
The following selection of courses is typical for costume designers:
- Fundamentals of Graduate Design
- Styles of Drama
- Costume History and Design I and II
- Professional Costume Design I and II
- Design Studio I-IV
- Theatre Costuming I and II
- Costume Design for the Theatre
- Advanced Stage and Film Makeup
- Repertory Theatre (design practicum)
- Architecture and Decor
- Teaching Internship Option
- Play Direction
- Development of Drama
Additional courses are often offered include:
- Flat Patterning
- Life Drawing
- A resume
- 3 or 4 letters of recommendation
- unofficial transcripts
- samples of design work (submitted electronically)
Candidates for each of the design programs must bring a design portfolio. The portfolio should convey information about the ability of the candidate to express artistically, to be sensitive to the dramatic materials, to work with space, and to use color, form and research materials. Each piece in the portfolio must be marked with the candidate's name, the name of the play, the date of the piece, and whether it was realized in production.
Admission is based off audition and/or interview and you must also be admitted by The Graduate School at Wayne State University.
To apply, please visit the Graduate School Application Portal.
- Stipend: $19,967 (2019-2020)
- Full Tuition Waiver
- Insurance: Medical/Dental/Vision (employee contribution)