Numerous performance opportunities are available for dance majors and minors in the Maggie Allesee Department of Theatre and Dance including the department's formal December Concert, Dance Workshop Showcase, and the annual Spring Dance Concert.
Students have the opportunity to audition for dances created by visiting guest artists and by the faculty, and dance majors also perform, choreograph, produce dances, and travel nationally and internationally as members of three different dance companies in the department:
Wayne State dance students also perform annually at the American College Dance Festival regional conference, and works from the department have been frequently selected for performance at the National College Dance Festival (three consecutive National Gala honors) in Washington, DC.
Other Performance Opportunities
- International Association of Blacks in Dance: Take masterclasses with peers from across the nation and represent the Maggie Allesee Department of Theatre and Dance in national-level performances.
- National Dance Education Organization: Take masterclasses, attend informative sessions, and perform exemplary works with dance education peers from across the US.
- Annual Michigan Dance Council Conference: Take master classes with peers from around the state and represent the Maggie Allesee Department of Theatre Dance in a group performance.
- Annual Michigan Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance: Take master classes and perform.
- Great Lakes American College Dance Festival: During this weekend conference, take master classes, participate in informal and formal performances, and observe the dances of other participating groups.
Auditions in the Maggie Allesee Department of Theatre and Dance: Some of the professional groups that have held auditions in the Maggie Allesee Department of Theatre and Dance include:
- American Ballet Theater (ABT)
- The Dance Theatre of Harlem
- Alvin Ailey American Dance Theatre
- Walt Disney Productions
- Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp
- Harlem Nutcracker
- Radio City Music Hall Rockettes
Dance majors observe and participate in these auditions.
Senior Semester Study Abroad: To cap off the educational experience, outstanding senior dance majors may choose to spend a semester in London, England, at the Laban Center for Movement or the London Contemporary School of Dance. (Some financial assistance from the department may be available.)