Numerous performance opportunities are available for dance majors and minors in the Maggie Allesee Department of Theatre and Dance including the department's formal December Concert, Dance Workshop Showcase, and the annual Spring Dance Concert.
Students have the opportunity to audition for dances created by visiting guest artists and by the faculty, and dance majors also perform, choreograph, produce dances, and travel nationally and internationally as members of three different dance companies in the department: Company One, To Sangana, and Dance Workshop. Learn more about each dance company below.
1. Company One
Company One provides entertainment and education through exciting dance performances designed for audiences of all ages both on campus and at venues throughout metro-Detroit. Company One dancers are all Dance majors in the Maggie Allesee Department of Theatre and Dance and are selected by audition.
Company productions use contemporary dance choreography, narration, technology, and music in a format that is lively and enjoyable. Each program features the choreography of company dancers, local artists, and esteemed national guest artists.
See COMPANY ONE in action during:
- Noel Night (Kick off the holiday season at this special performance in Midtown Detroit)
- Community Dance Day (Come take a class with Company One!)
- PERFORM! (Join Company One for our annual K-12 schools and community show)
- Company One, Touring show (We bring the show to you!)
2. To Sangana African Dance Company
To Sangana is a dynamic dance company that thrills audiences with African-derived dance and drum presentations, that are guaranteed to inspire, invigorate, educate, and entertain. The company celebrates rich cultural traditions from the African heritage, as well as the contemporary African-American experience. African Dance fuses music, theatre, visual art, and movement to form a complete artistic and cultural statement. African dance today reaches a worldwide audience through the rigorous, theme-based, and excitingly joyful dedication of professional dancers and musicians.
See TO SANGANA in action during:
- To Sangana Concert (Enjoy traditional and modern dance from the African diaspora)
- To Sangana, touring show (We bring the show to you!)
3. Dance Workshop
Dance Workshop is a student produced-company at Wayne State University that gives its members a creative outlet to choreograph, perform, and grow as artists. The company aims to embody all characteristics of a professional dance company including showcase, outreach, fundraising, and publicity responsibilities. Dance Workshop continues to strive for excellence and innovation in the education of emerging artists in the dance world.
Some of our upcoming performances include:
- Dance Workshop Concert (Join Dance Workshop for our annual concert)
Wayne State dance students also perform annually at the American College Dance Festival regional conference, and works from the department have been frequently selected for performance at the National College Dance Festival (three consecutive National Gala honors) in Washington, DC.
Other Performance Opportunities
- International Association of Blacks in Dance: Take masterclasses with peers from across the nation and represent the Maggie Allesee Department of Theatre and Dance in national-level performances.
- National Dance Education Organization: Take masterclasses, attend informative sessions, and perform exemplary works with dance education peers from across the US.
- Annual Michigan Dance Council Conference: Take master classes with peers from around the state and represent the Maggie Allesee Department of Theatre Dance in a group performance.
- Annual Michigan Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance: Take master classes and perform.
- Great Lakes American College Dance Festival: During this weekend conference, take master classes, participate in informal and formal performances, and observe the dances of other participating groups.
Auditions in the Maggie Allesee Department of Theatre and Dance: Some of the professional groups that have held auditions in the Maggie Allesee Department of Theatre and Dance include:
- American Ballet Theater (ABT)
- The Dance Theatre of Harlem
- Alvin Ailey American Dance Theatre
- Walt Disney Productions
- Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp
- Harlem Nutcracker
- Radio City Music Hall Rockettes
Dance majors observe and participate in these auditions.
Senior Semester Study Abroad: To cap off the educational experience, outstanding senior dance majors may choose to spend a semester in London, England, at the Laban Center for Movement or the London Contemporary School of Dance. (Some financial assistance from the department may be available.)