Dance Audition Information
Upcoming Dance Audition and Interview Dates
For the 2019-2020 Academic Year:
Audition Forms and Information
Audition registration form should be completed at least one week before audition.
All BFA and scholarship applicants are required to submit a short solo (3 minutes maximum) in video form with their audition registration form. This can be a dance style of the applicant's choice. The strong preference is for the applicant to upload their short video to YouTube and mark it as "unlisted" so that the video is not viewable to the general public. Copy the link to your video clip and submit it to Wayne State University via your online application status page (www.appstatus.wayne.edu) and also send this link via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Letters of Reference
All students applying to be a dance major at Wayne State University (WSU) are required as part of the application process to submit one (1) letter of reference: personal, teacher, and teacher/employer. To submit the letters you will be asked to click on "Initiate a Reference" on your application status page (www.appstatus.wayne.edu) and send a short message requesting the reference. When your personal reference replies to the email, the reply will go directly to your online file. When WSU receives the reference, a check mark will appear, indicating that the reference has been received.
The Maggie Allesee Department of Theatre and Dance offers talent scholarships that cover $20,000 of a student's tuition, over four years. This scholarship is available for students enrolled eight consecutive fall and winter semesters at Wayne State University.
Additional eligibility requirements:
- You will be graduating from high school in the spring or summer of the current school year with a minimum 2.75 high school grade point average.
- You are admitted to Wayne State University.
- You complete one of the competitive auditions listed above.
- You submit a YouTube link to a video clip of you performing a solo (3 minutes maximum length) in a style of your choice to: email@example.com
- You submit a completed Department of Theatre and Dance Audition Registration Form
Talent Scholarship Award recipients must meet the following guidelines:
- Be a full-time student at WSU for eight consecutive semesters carrying 12-16 credits hours during each Fall and Winter term;
- Be a Bachelor of Fine Arts Dance Major in the College of Fine, Performing and Communication Arts for eight semesters, following the Dance Major curriculum;
- Maintain a 2.5 grade point average overall and a 3.0 grade point average in dance courses;
- Perform every semester for eight consecutive semesters, being a member of one of the WSU Dance Companies for at least two semesters.*
- Perform other related activities and events in the Dance Department as requested by the company director(s) or Chair of the department.**
- Conduct oneself professionally and respectfully at all times, both on-campus and off-campus, when representing WSU and the Department of Theatre & Dance. ***
- Fully abide by the WSU Student Code of Conduct at all times, both on-campus and off-campus, when representing WSU and the Department of Theatre & Dance. ***
- Dance majors who have completed 45 credits hours but have not completed Basic Composition (BC) will be placed on department probation and will be ineligible to be cast and perform in dance companies, touring, or repertory (faculty and guest artists) in the courses DNC 5000, DNC 5610, DNC 5800.
- Scholarships are renewed contingent upon successful annual review.
* Exceptions are granted by the Chair for Student Teaching, Study Abroad, and other special circumstances.
** These may include fundraising activities, donor and sponsor events, or other scholarship related activities.
*** Unprofessional conduct or violation of the WSU Student Code of Conduct is grounds for immediate termination of the scholarship.
Please note: Students who experience difficulty with the above criteria will be placed on probation and may lose their Talent Scholarship.
Dance Audition/Interview Schedule (Tentative)
Dance Program Audition - Sample Itinerary (subject to change)
11:00 – 11:30 Registration (assign and take photos)
- Warm and Stretch--Old Main 3374
11:30 – 12:50 Classes and Auditions--Studio A
- Parents Q&A (Chair, Area Head, and Students)--Malbin Conference Room
- 1:20 – 2:00 African Dance Masterclass
- 2:00 – 2:30 Lunch (provided by Department)
- 2:30 – 2:45 Tour of Dance Facilities (Student Reps)
- 2:45 – 3:30 Presentation/Performance/Q&A